Sunday, December 10, 2017

Led Zeppelin III - Double Album Version


When recording the album Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin faced a dilemma. The assembled eight songs were too long for one LP. The solution was to make a double album and add a number of tracks left off previous albums.

After the recent release of remastered albums with extra tracks, I realized there were enough leftovers and outtakes from albums I-III to make III a double album also. I considered taking all the tracks and rearranging them. But in the end, I left the first two sides the same as released, and simply built sides C and D.

SIDE A
1. Immigrant Song
2. Friends
3. Celebration Day
4. Since I've Been Loving You
5. Out on the Tiles

SIDE B
1. Gallows Pole
2. Tangerine
3. That's the Way
4. Bron Yr Aur Stomp
5. Hats off to (Roy) Harper

SIDE C
1. We're Gonna Groove
2. Poor Tom
3. Jennings Farm Blues
4. Sugar Mama
5. Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind

SIDE D
1. Baby Come on Home
2. Bron Yr Aur
3. Hey Hey What Can I Do?
4. Medley: I Feel So Bad/Travelling Riverside Blues/32-20 Blues/Diving Duck Blues/Fixin' to Die/That's All Right (Mama)

It's kind of a head-scratcher that most of these songs remained unreleased for so long. Side C kicks off with "We're Gonna Groove," followed by an outtake from III, "Poor Tom." I think having the similar "Bron Yr Aur Stomp," "Jennings Farm Blues" and "Bron Yr Aur" on three of the four sides kind of ties the album together. "Sugar Mama" picks up the pace before the side ends with the slow acoustic blues of the "Key to the Highway/Trouble in Mind" medley.

Side D kicks off with the amazing "Baby Come on Home" (an outtake from the first album). "Hey Hey What Can I Do" was a non-album B-side of the "Immigrant Song" single. Since Zeppelin ended most of their shows with a medley of old rock and blues songs, ending this album that way seems natural. Brought together, I think Sides C and D are nearly as strong as the original A and B.

All these tracks, except one, are available as either bonus tracks to the remastered albums, or on the compilation album Coda

The exception is "Bron Yr Aur" which is on Physical Graffiti. In iTunes, I replaced it on that album with "Walter's Walk." I also put "Houses of the Holy" back on the album it's named for, and replaced it on Physical Graffiti with "D'yer Mak'er."

5 comments:

  1. That's neat! Considered doing the same thing for a while, but with an "electric" LP and an "acoustic" LP, instead of the bonus album you created. Still, a pretty cool effort, I'll make sure to give it a spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you creating the electric and acoustic versions on your blog. What happened to all your old entries?

      Delete
    2. I too remember your old posts and would like to hear more about the electric/acoustic versions.

      Good effort here AEC but by now you probably already know how I feel about double albums. ;) Led Zep III is my favorite Zep album although I prefer the live versions of That's the Way over the album version. The BBC version is my fave.

      Delete
    3. Eh, I don't think I ever did the electric/acoustic III - you're probably mixing me up with Album Fixer. But anyway, the old posts are being rewritten and will be posted, along with new content. Be patient! ahahahah

      Delete
    4. D'oh! I was thinking Album Fixer. So many pages now! haha

      Delete