Sunday, April 22, 2018

Rolling Stones - "Aftermath" (1966 sessions)



In late 1965, The Rolling Stones recorded nine songs that were slated to be released early the next year on an album titled Could You Walk on Water? A tenth track, an outtake from the band’s previous album was also to be included.

However, the band’s record company, Decca, balked at releasing an album with such a title. Eventually, the release was canceled and The Rolling Stones went back into the studio in March 1966 and recorded 12 more songs. For the album Aftermath, the group picked and chose from the 22 songs they’d recorded.

If Could You Walk on Water? had been released, Aftermath would have been a different album because the released version included four tracks from the earlier recording session.

Soniclovenoize did a great job presenting a recreated Could You Walk on Water? on his blog:

http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-rolling-stones-could-you-walk-on.html

Below I present what Aftermath could have been had the band only used songs recorded from the second session.

SIDE A
  1. Paint It Black
  2. Stupid Girl
  3. Lady Jane
  4. Under My Thumb
  5. What to Do
  6. Long, Long While
SIDE B
  1. Flight 505
  2. High and Drive
  3. It’s Not Easy
  4. I am Waiting
  5. If You Let Me
  6. Out of Time
The first noticeable difference is that this version has 12 songs rather than 14 of the British version and 11 of the U.S. version. U.S. versions of '60s British groups almost always suck in comparison. But because of the closer number of tracks, I used the U.S. version as a template. As a result, the only real differences were to remove and replace the last two songs on side A, and then remove the last song from side B and add two tracks.

I also used the U.S. version of the album cover because the hyphenated album title on the British version always bothers me.





7 comments:

  1. This is not related to Aftermath, but I wanted to mention that I've just started a website with a similar theme to yours, Albums That Should Exist.

    https://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/

    I hope you come check it out, and if you like it, add a link to it.

    On a different note, I really liked your "Trouble Man" album. I had no idea Gaye had that much good stuff between his two most famous albums. (

    Oh, and by the way, I live in San Diego too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for your comments. Small world. I added a link to your site and will check it out more later.

      Delete
  2. I've done a similar playlist to this on Spotify back in December 2017, only under the title After Geography. The sole exception to it was "If You Let Me," which I did not consider for the album and thought of using it as a B-side. ("Out of Time" is supposed to be the longer version available on the UK version.)

    https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5QUhyVqceGaXSWT1agU1vX

    Kinda surprising how great minds think alike, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been told that a session guitarist, Vincent Bell, actually played an electric sitar on "Paint It Black" and Brian Jones merely mimicked playing the sitar. Is this true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I have no idea. Never heard that before

      Delete