Sunday, February 5, 2023

The Byrds - "Younger Than Yesterday" redone


I was recently inspired by the Albums That Never Were blog post, in which The Byrds’ album The Notorious Byrd Brothers was redone as if David Crosby had not been fired. I looked at the band’s previous album, Younger Than Yesterday, the first without any input from Gene Clark, and created a new version. This one includes three songs by Clark that were on his first solo album released nearly simultaneously with Younger Than Yesterday.

SIDE A

1. So You Want to Be a Rock ‘n’ Roll Star

2. Have You Seen Her Face

3. Needing Someone

4. CTA – 102

5. Renaissance Fair

6. Time Between

7. Everybody’s Been Burned 

SIDE B

1. So You Say You Lost Your Baby 

2. Mind Gardens 

3. The Girl with No Name 

4. Tried So Hard

5. It Happens Each Day

6. My Back Pages

Without contributions from Clark, Chris Hillman stepped up with four songs, plus a co-write with Roger McGuinn. This is interesting because prior to this, no other Hillman-written songs had been recorded by the band other than one track that was a group effort.

Rather than simply inserting Clark's songs, I looked at the album overall to see if I could improve it (at least in my mind). The album as released is very short – the first side clocks in less than 14 minutes. Besides adding three Clark tunes, I also decided to jettison two other tracks to make room for them. I removed Hillman’s “Thoughts and Words” as I didn’t think it contributed much, especially as the opening track of Side B. Plus, Hillman already has four other writing credits on the album. I also removed “Why,” a song co-written by McGuinn and Crosby. This was an odd choice in the first place because the band had released a slower version of the same song as a B side to the “Eight Miles High” single the previous year.

Clark’s solo album, Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers, includes both Hillman and Michael Clarke throughout, so it actually has three “Byrds” playing on it. I included the tracks “Needing Someone,” “So You Say You Lost Your Baby” and “Tried So Hard.” The first two I added because I simply liked them the most. I included “Tried So Hard” because I saw a video on YouTube of Clark performing it in maybe the late 1970s so I figured it must have been important to him. Also, Hillman recorded it in the early 1970s with his later group The Flying Burrito Brothers, so obviously he liked the track too.

Finally, I also added one outtake from the album, Crosby’s “It Happens Each Day.” Other than the insertions and deletions, the album's tracklist remains pretty much the same, although I moved the cover of Dylan’s “My Back Pages” to the end to close out the album. Because the album title is inspired by the song, and since it was released as a single, I thought ending the album with it made sense.

The result is an album with more variety, more tracks and a longer running time (each side is just under 16 minutes). It wasn’t until after I’d figured out a tracklist I liked that I realized the songs opening both sides have the same two first words in their titles. Weird.

And now for a special treat (ha!), I went the extra mile and created a second version of the album as a double, adding in more Clark songs and outtakes (see below). Sides A-C are about 15:10 give or take a second, while the fourth side is about 20 seconds shorter. You decide what you like more: a single or double album.

For cover art, I needed a photo that included Gene Clark, making the one I chose a bit dated. But doesn't having a photo of them a year or two earlier fit in with the album's title? Hmmmm. Otherwise, I think it looks good for a simple design. I removed some background imagery and added titles.

SIDE A 

1. So You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star

2. I Know My Rider (I Know You Rider) 

3. Think I'm Gonna Feel Better 

4. Time Between

5. The Same One 

6. Mind Gardens 

SIDE B 

1. So You Say You Lost Your Baby 

2. The Girl with No Name 

3. CTA-102

4. Is Yours Is Mine 

5. Everybody's Been Burned 

6. Echoes 

SIDE C 

1. Have You Seen Her Face 

2. It Happens Each Day 

3. Needing Someone

4. Don’t Make Waves 

5. I Found You 

6. Psychodrama City 

SIDE D 

1. Renaissance Fair 

2. Couldn't Believe Her

3. Why

4. Tried So Hard 

5. Thoughts and Words 

6. My Back Pages 

Here's a YouTube playlist of the double album version.

Sources

* Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers

* The Byrds' Younger Than Yesterday 1996 version with bonus tracks

* The Byrds box set

16 comments:

  1. Great minds think alike, AEC! I did mine by dividing them into two records:

    THE BYRDS - FIFTH DIMENSION (1966)

    Fifth Dimension (Fifth Dimension)
    Wild Mountain Thyme (Fifth Dimension)
    If I Hang Around (Byrd Parts, Pt. 2)
    Mr. Spaceman (Fifth Dimension)
    What's Happening?!?! (Fifth Dimension)
    Needing Someone (Gene Clark)
    -
    Eight Miles High (Fifth Dimension)
    I See You (Fifth Dimension)
    Keep on Pushin' (Gene Clark)
    I Know My Rider (Fifth Dimension)
    John Riley (Fifth Dimension)
    Why? (Fifth Dimension)

    "Keep on Pushin'", "Needing Someone" and "If I Hang Around" are from the same early 1966 period as the Fifth Dimension album, as they were part of the Gene Clark Group's repertoire, per Chip Douglas. I also added "Why" and "I Know My Rider" to give the album more Gene.

    THE BYRDS - SANCTUARY (1966)

    So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star (Younger Than Yesterday)
    Have You Seen Her Face (Younger Than Yesterday)
    Tried So Hard (Gene Clark)
    Renaissance Fair (Younger Than Yesterday)
    Time Between (Younger Than Yesterday)
    Everybody's Been Burned (Younger Than Yesterday)
    -
    Thoughts and Words (Younger Than Yesterday)
    The Same One (Gene Clark)
    Is Yours, Is Mine (Gene Clark)
    The Girl With No Name (Younger Than Yesterday)
    I Found You (Gene Clark)
    My Back Pages (Younger Than Yesterday)

    My favourites of the remainder of the Gosdin Brothers album intertwined with Younger than Yesterday. Sanctuary was this album's working title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Very nice. I played with the idea of doing two separate albums rather than a double, but decided on the kitchen sink plan. :)

      Delete
    2. Is there another way to source 'If I Hang Around' other than Byrd Parts? Many thanks :)

      Delete
    3. It's on Sierra Records release- Gene Clark, Back Street Mirror.

      Delete
    4. can I download this album you created?

      Delete
  2. 5D
    Wild Mountain Thyme (alt ver)
    Mr. Spaceman
    I See You (1st ver)
    If I Hang Around (Gene demo)
    I Come And Stand At Every Door

    Eight Miles High (alt 1st ver)
    Why (alt 1st ver)
    I know My Rider
    The Day Walk
    John Riley (early ver)
    Why Can't I Have Her Back Again (Gene demo)
    What's Happening (alt ver)

    More Gene Without using his solo album

    Younger Than Yesterday

    So You Want To Be A R&R Star
    Have You Seen Her Face
    It Happens Each Day
    Renaissance Fair
    Time Between
    Everybody's Been Burned

    Thoughts And Words
    The Girl With No Name
    Don't Make Waves
    Lady Friend
    My Back Pages (alt ver)


    No Gene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, so is yours,,,enjoy work

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is echopk....I don't know why I am coming up as "Anonymous"...anyway, like I said, Thanks, so is your set as well...it is easy when you are as big a Byrds fan as I am...I created alt. versions of all of their albums...it's fun...do more when you get the chance, andI'll share my sets too. I got a killer 2nd album

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a huge Byrds fan since Day 1 of hearing MTM on the radio, I guess I'll chime in here as well and add my useless opinion. I won't go down the "what if" path, but I do think all 5 Byrds albums could have been improved, with a few changes in song selections. Regarding these two particular albums, and staying within Columbia's practice of 11 tracks, for Fifth Dimension, I'm ditching Hey Joe and Lear Jet, and replacing them with Why and I Know My Rider, respectively. I'm also using the stringless versions of Wild Mountain Thyme and John Riley. For YTY, the only change is Why gets dropped (having appeared on the previous lp), and It Happens Each Day takes its place, with My Back Pages moved
    to the closing track on side 2. In both cases, I think it makes for stronger albums. Turn! Turn! Turn! and Fifth Dimension are the two lps that I think could have been vastly upgraded with a few different tracks on them, TTT in particular having some very questionable (bad ) choices on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. I like your changes

      Delete
  7. I forgot there's actually 6 albums by The Byrds, not counting archival releases. I neglected to mention the Reunion album, which also could have been improved. I'm dropping the 2 Neil Young covers and replacing them with the 2 songs recorded the previous year (One in A Hundred, and She's The Kind of Girl), and additionally purging the album of McGuinn's dreadful Born To Rock and Roll and inserting My New Woman that was recorded at the Reunion sessions. It's a shame that Fair and Tender Ladies, which is on the reel of out-takes in the hands of a certain collector, is not available. That would make a fine addition to the album as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I re-did the cover. How do I share it here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I don't think you can share a photo on a blog. You could post it elsewhere and post a link here. This is one option: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/fan-made-alternative-album-covers-by-your-favorite-artists.578347/page-116

      Delete