Sunday, March 5, 2023

George Harrison -- "Cosmic Empire"

 


I recently came upon walrusz’s YouTube channel where he’s added some new studio backing to a few demos George Harrison recorded. That led me to read up more on the 50th anniversary of Harrison’s All Things Must Pass album where I discovered there were a number of outtakes he never officially released in his lifetime.

I’ve often thought that Harrison waited too long to record a follow-up to All Things Must Pass. Yes, it was a triple album (or a double album with an extra disc of jamming) and it was a massive success when it was released in 1970. However, his former bandmates released more albums than he did from 1970 through 1973. Paul McCartney issued five studio albums during that span and John Lennon released four. Even Ringo Starr recorded three studio albums. Meanwhile, George issued two: All Things Must Pass (1970) and Living in the Material World (1973).

Considering George supposedly had tons of songs he’d written that had been rejected by the other Beatles (namely John and Paul), one might think that he’d be keen to now get it all out there and have a follow-up album in 1971 or 1972. But in fact, he had other priorities, including legal issues, a failing marriage, the organization of the Concert for Bangla Desh and the care for his mother who was dying. 

So here's my attempt at an album that could have been.

SIDE A

1.      Cosmic Empire 

2.      Mother Divine 

3.      Window, Window 

4.      Dehra Dun 

5.      Going Down to Golders Green 

6.      Nowhere to Go 

SIDE B

1.      I Live for You

2.      Deep Blue 

3.      Tell Me What Has Happened to You 

4.      Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna) 

5.      I Don’t Want to Do It 

There were several songs George demoed in 1970 that he later recorded for albums, and I decided not to use those.

Looking and searching, I found 11 songs that could have been used for a late 1971 or early 1972 album. I used five tracks that walrusz posted on his YouTube channel: “Cosmic Empire,” “Nowhere to Go,” “Dehra Dun,” “Mother Divine” and “Window Window.” For the latter song, I snipped off the studio chatter at the very beginning as I found it distracting. 

I also included the 2000 overdubbed version of “I Live for You” that George released with the 40th anniversary of All Thing Must Pass, as well as the demos for “Going Down to Golders Green,” "Om Hare Om (Gopala Krishna)," “Tell Me What Has Happened to You” and “I Don’t Want to Do It” from the 50th anniversary of the album. 

And finally, I included “Deep Blue,” the B-side of George’s 1971 “Bangla Desh” single. I thought about including “Bangla Desh” as well, but it’s very apparent that it was always meant to be a standalone single.

I especially like using the Bob Dylan-penned “I Don’t Want to Do It” to end the album with just George on vocals and guitar. The song's final line “I don't want to say goodbye” and abrupt stop seemed like a great ending, I think. George actually re-recorded the song in 1985 for the Porky’s Revenge soundtrack, and that seems like a sad result for a Dylan song that he himself never recorded. Using it here gives the song a bit more respect.

The result is what I think is a very enjoyable 11-track album. For the album cover, I found this photo of George online and added the words. I titled it Cosmic Empire after the lead-off track.

Here is a YouTube playlist of the album. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Nice, if not essential, but that's just me of course LOL

    I did want to inquire, though, to a phantom post notification concerning a Band version of the White Album by the Beatles, that was kind of floating around on Uncle Dan's blog sidebar for the last couple weeks before you now posted Cosmic Empire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah, that's what happens when you forget to post date a blog entry. It's in the queue and will get posted when I feel I've completed it.

      Delete
    2. Fair enough, just curious since I've got like 4 preferred alternate WAs as it is, so look forward to your take when it posts.

      Delete
  2. Very reasonable. I agree with you that George probably should have done a follow up to ATMP, but as you stated, things got in the way..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a good idea, George still had a lot of great music in the can for All Things Must Pass. He could have put out a quadruple album, even without the Apple Jams.

    Paul did a very similar thing over at his blog a few years ago:
    http://albumsthatshouldexist.blogspot.com/2018/06/george-harrison-cosmic-empire-various.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I check out that blog every so often, but don't remember seeing this entry. And we even used the same title for the album.

      Delete
  4. Did you consider using "When Every Song is Sung"?

    It's from the ATMP sessions, and if edited well, could fit right in on the album

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I considered it briefly, but I'm not adept at editing. And since it was eventually released by Ringo under a different title, I didn't include it in the track list for this.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for this I went into my library and created this marvelous album...bonus tracks or an 2nd double albumcould include the aformentioned:

    Bangla Desh
    Miss O'Dell
    It Don't Come Easy
    The Pirate Song
    I Don't Care Anymore
    Mama You've Been On My Mind
    Woman Don't You Cry For Me
    Everybody Nobody

    Perhaps some these stretches the time frame, but some may fit

    Thanx again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice compilation. I would have added It Don’t Come Easy as the first song on side 2 but I understand your not including it. It is doubtful George would have withheld this song from Ringo or released a competing version.

    ReplyDelete