Sunday, November 12, 2017

"The Beatles" by The Beatles


In my last post, I created a single-disc concept album using 14 tracks from The Beatles' "White Album." In this post, I'm using most of the leftover tracks to create a good, standard rock album.

While A Doll's House could have created a good bridge from the Sgt. Pepper's/Magical Mystery Tour era, this album would have been mostly a return to basics. The Summer of Love was so last year; the Vietnam War and Civil Rights protests were everywhere, and music was changing. Using the official title of the White Album, I call this one simply The Beatles

SIDE A
1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
2. Sexy Sadie
3. Not Guilty
4. Julia
5. Honey Pie
6. Don't Pass Me By
7. I'm So Tired

SIDE B
1. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
2. I Will
3. Yer Blues
4. Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. Long Long Long
7. Revolution 1
8. Helter Skelter

Again, like A Doll's House, there is a balance of vocals: six by John, five by Paul, three by George, and one by Ringo. All of these tracks are from the original "White Album," except "Not Guilty." A short version of the song is on Anthology 3, but I used a longer 4:17 version. For an album cover, I used one-half of the proposed artwork for the inner gatefold of the "White Album" that wasn't used.

NOTE: You may have noticed certain songs from the White Album that I've left off from both this and A Doll's House: "Wild Honey Pie" and "Revolution 9." I consider "Wild Honey Pie" to be akin to nails on a chalkboard. I really hate it. Maybe the worst Beatles song I can think of. As far as "Revolution 9" is concerned, I was fascinated with it when I was a teenager, but these days, it just seems like one long noise track. I think maybe these two tracks as well as a few other odds and ends could appear on yet another Beatles album, which maybe I'll get to in the future.




7 comments:

  1. Ooo, maybe Revolution 9 will be the B-side to Carnival of Light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you're getting ahead of me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I've been following your blog thus far, and my favorite recreations from you are your Late-60s Beatles Trilogy. I've done an alternate version of Magical Mystery Tour including the '67 recorded tracks from Yellow Submarine:

    Side A
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Only a Northern Song
    Your Mother Should Know
    I am the Walrus
    Hello, Goodbye
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Penny Lane

    Side B
    The Fool on the Hill
    Blue Jay Way
    All Together Now
    Baby You're a Rich Man
    All You Need is Love
    It's All Too Much

    In addition, I've tried out your A Doll's House playlist, which is really good, and I've even done an alternate version of your The Beatles playlist with "Hey Bulldog" included, which I've called Beatles '68: (all personal preference of course!)

    Side A
    Back in the U.S.S.R.
    Hey Bulldog
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Love version without John's closing dialogue leading into "A Day in the Life")
    Yer Blues
    Don't Pass Me By (Anthology 3 version)
    Sexy Sadie
    Happiness is a Warm Gun
    I Will

    Side B
    Revolution 1
    Honey Pie
    Not Guilty (Anthology 3 edit)
    Why Don't We Do It in the Road?
    I'm So Tired
    Long, Long, Long
    Helter Skelter
    Julia

    Back in Your Safely Beds is unaffected. It kinda makes me wonder; with those four albums, how would Get Back and Everest be affected? I imagine at this point, George would campaign to be represented more on Beatles albums, and the way to keep him in the Beatle fold is by giving him at least three spaces on an album. Similarly, to keep John in the Beatle fold, "Give Peace a Chance" and "Cold Turkey" would have to be a part of the Beatle canon. In turn, Paul would be willing to continue with his bandmates, and Ringo would be happy that everything's alright... for now, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zack. Thanks for your comments. I have an idea of a post Beatles album that would have come after Get Back and Abbey Road. It's quite a different take than what I've seen elsewhere. I'll post it in the near future. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I was gonna use that picture for my white album reconstruction. Im sure I could think of something else though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHERE IS DEAR PRUDENCE!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On this album: https://albumsbackfromthedead.blogspot.com/2017/11/the-beatles-dolls-house.html

      Delete