Sunday, February 18, 2018

Bee Gees - "Night Fever"



The Bee Gees have at least four unreleased albums, including three solo LPs and one group album. But the album I'm showing off here was one that was never actually completed. I'm calling it Night Fever.

In early 1977, the Bee Gees began work on their follow-up album to the previous year's Children of the World. But before they got too far, their manager, Robert Stigwood, approached them to provide songs for a film he was producing. Plans for a new studio album were set aside as the group focused on the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. Of the eight songs the group recorded, half appeared on the soundtrack. Another song, "If I Can't Have You," was covered by Yvonne Elliman for the soundtrack. The Bee Gees' version appeared as the B-side to the "Stayin' Alive" single. Of the three other songs, two were covered by brother Andy Gibb ("(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away" and "Warm Ride") and the third, "Emotion,"  was covered by Samantha Sang. 

The Bee Gees' versions of these four songs eventually popped up. "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away," "If I Can't Have You" and "Warm Ride" appeared on the album Bee Gees Greatest, and "Emotion" appeared on Their Greatest Hits: The Record.

The only problem with trying to create a Bee Gees album as originally intended is that it's short, even when including the extended promo version of "Stayin' Alive," which I do. It could use at least one more song, and preferably two or three. But after doing a bit of research, I can't find any other songs from this period that could be included. I think the Bee Gees became so involved in assembling the soundtrack and working on other people's albums at the time, that they never got around to writing and recording additional music for themselves. So we just have to be content with a fairly short album. [*]

SIDE A
1. Night Fever
2. How Deep is Your Love
3. Emotion
4. (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away

SIDE B
1. More Than a Woman
2. If I Can't Have You
3. Warm Ride
4. Stayin' Alive

This collection kicks off with "Night Fever" and then slows down for the ballad "How Deep is Your Love." Then, those are followed by "Emotion" (the only song with lead vocals by Robin Gibb) before ending the first side with "(Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away." Side A is about 15 minutes, which is pretty short. It should be at least 17 or 19 minutes long. Maybe someday another song will surface to make it more complete.

The second side starts with "More Than a Woman" and continues with "If I Can't Have You" and "Warm Ride." The album ends with the 12-inch promo version of "Stayin' Alive," which runs 7 minutes, making an epic ending. That puts the second side at just shy of 17 minutes. Still a little short, but what can you do?

I put together the album cover using various images I found on the web. Here's a playlist of the album on YouTube.

--------
* Post Script:
Months after publishing this blog entry, I came upon extended versions of both "Night Fever" and "More Than a Woman" that clock in at 6:43 and 4:41, respectively. Now, the first side is 18:33, and the second side is 18:16. Yippee!



15 comments:

  1. You could use Rest Your Love on Me. A song from 76 but not used until 78 as a B side to Too Much Heaven. Stylistically it might be awkward as it has a more country feel but still a good song and would add another 4:30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to throw this together and give it a listen on the way into work. It works fine as is though as you say it is a bit short. The song I suggested could work if placed in the right spot. Nice cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the idea of using the extended version of Stayin' Alive. It's like a longer album version vs a shorter single edit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had considered "Rest Your Love on Me," but a straight up country song sounds really strange with the rest of the tracks, at least to my ears. I think it's the reason it was left off "Children of the World" originally.

      Delete
    2. Yes, it is very country. I think if it didn't have the pedal steel guitar it would fit in better. Other than it being a country song instead of a dance song the production style is similar. For me it gives a break from the monotonous disco beat which kind of makes each song sound the same. This is what I came up with. 18 minutes per side.

      01 Night Fever
      02 Warm Ride
      03 Emotion
      04 Rest Your Love On Me
      05 If I Can't Have You

      01 How Deep Is Your Love
      02 More Than a Woman
      03 (Our Love) Don't Throw It All Away
      04 Stayin' Alive (Promo 12" Version)

      Thanks again. Nice work.

      Delete
    3. Maybe someone can isolate the steel guitar track and delete it

      Delete
    4. Yeah, that would be cool if they could or at least push it to the back but unfortunately that would require access to the multitrack tapes and do a new mix.

      In spite of my non-appreciation of disco in general this (and Sonic's VU IV upgrade) has been in steady rotation on my mp3 player.

      Delete
  4. Very, very, very nice!! Love the SNF soundtrack in general, but it's nice to hear the Bee Gees' material in a cohesive manner by itself. My only change that I would do is swap out the Bee Gees version of If I Can't Have You to the version by Yvonne Elliman (maybe because it's the version I grew up with). But still, great album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but then it wouldn't be a "Bee Gees" album

      Delete
    2. True! But The Bee Gees version is still excellent, believe me!

      Delete
  5. ok...I give up...I've moused over everything on the page and can't find a link...on this or any page! Where are you hiding them please? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -- I don't upload any tracks on my site. I simply show what I've put together and include info on where you can find the songs. Too often people with sites like this get cease and desist letters from lawyers or have their sites taken down. I don't want to deal with the headaches.

      Delete
  6. See my post script for an update

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was your source for the extended versions?

      Delete
    2. Sorry, just now saw your question.
      Night Fever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUb-vB1VAU

      More Than a Woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsoy9ky-Cmk

      Delete