Sunday, May 20, 2018

Electric Light Orchestra -- "The Lost Planet"


In the spring of 1972, the Electric Light Orchestra assembled in the studio to begin work on the band’s second album, tentatively titled The Lost Planet. But Roy Wood, with Jeff Lynne one of the driving forces of the group, had become disillusioned with ELO and soon left to form Wizzard. Another member, Bill Hunt left with Wood. With Wood’s departure, ELO became primarily a vehicle of Jeff Lynne and has been to this day.

With this project, I wanted to create what could have been a second Electric Light Orchestra album if Wood and Hunt had remained with the group. I wanted to keep the album to a single vinyl disc, but with ELO 2 and Wizzard’s debut Wizzard’s Brew there is obviously enough material for a double album (in fact, add in several early ELO and Wizzard non-album singles and outtakes, and there might be enough for a triple album).

SIDE A – 22:28
1. In Old England Town (Boogie No. 2)
2. Wear a Fast Gun
3. Jolly Cup of Tea

SIDE B – 21:16
1. You Can Dance Your Rock n Roll
2. From the Sun to the World (Boogie No. 1)
3. Kuiama

Two tracks from ELO 2 actually feature the original lineup: “In Old England Town” and “From the Sun to the World,” both written by Lynne. So I included both. “Kuiama” is cited by drummer Bev Bevan as one of the best songs the group ever recorded, and it has long been a staple of the band’s live shows. So I included that as well. From Wizzard’s Brew, I chose three songs: “Wear a Fast Gun” (which sounds very ELOish to my ears), the short “Jolly Cup of Tea,” and the leadoff track “You Can Dance Your Rock ‘n’ Roll,” which I use to start the second side here.

Because most of the tracks from both ELO 2 and Wizzard’s Brew are fairly long, it wasn’t that easy getting two album sides of equal length. I had to rearrange the tracks a few times to get it the way I liked. Some may question the exclusion of “Roll Over Beethoven,” the Chuck Berry song that ELO added bits of Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony, and which became a hit single. I see this as a perfect non-album single for the group, and its exclusion from “The Lost Planet” allows the album to be completely written by Wood and Lynne, just as the first ELO album was.

All tracks can be found on Wizzard's Brew and ELO 2.

For a cover, I looked for a picture taken by Apollo 17, which went to the moon in 1972, the same year the tracks for this album were being recorded. I liked this odd shot of Earth with the moon’s horizon shown diagonally. I used the original album title.


9 comments:

  1. I've always thought that 'Wear A Fast Gun' was destined for ELO's second album before Roy scampered off to form Wizzard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it until I was putting this together.

      Delete
  2. That's something I've been wondering for the past few days; what if Roy Wood had stayed with the Electric Light Orchestra? Personally, I can't really see him lasting beyond 1975, mostly due to how short Wizzard's discography was.

    Side note; I'd recently started up an alternate albums blog of my own. Though it isn't just alternate albums, it's a sort of faux history surrounding them as well: https://strawberrypeppersalthistory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've visited your site a few times. Interesting stuff!

      Delete
  3. Hey, noticed this was taken off Youtube. Any chance you have a reupload or a new link?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never posted it on YouTube. Sorry I can't help.

      Delete
  4. During 1972, ELO would perform 'Dear Elaine' live. Do you think it's possible that it was intended for the Lost Planet before Wood left? Wikipedia says it was recorded 1972 which could've been either before or after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Kuiama" has no Roy Wood involvement and sounds nothing like the ELO of the first album. Better to replace it with the rough mix of "Dear Elaine" which is a bonus track on Wood's "Boulders" CD, and as the previous poster said was being performed by ELO in concert before Wood left the band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Thanks for your comments. I think you misunderstand the concept here of merging ELO and Wizzard tracks from 1972 into a theoretical second ELO album. Wood isn't on "Kuiama" that's true, but Lynne isn't on "Wear a Fast Gun," "You Can Dance Your Rock 'n' Roll" or "Jolly Cup of Tea." Adding another Wizzard track and removing a Lynne song doesn't serve much purpose other than to add more Wood. If you wanted to create a theoretical double album, you could add plenty of other songs.

      Delete