Sunday, December 2, 2018

Double Albums Made Single

This was a project I did after reading a lot about other people complaining that some double albums would have been better off as single albums, thus tightening up the album and leaving out the filler. Of course, there are those who will complain about favorite songs left off or songs they think are less worthy than I've included. Hey, start your own blog! :)


Fleetwood Mac  Tusk
SIDE A
1. Think About Me                   
2. The Ledge                          
3. Sisters of the Moon        
4. I Know I'm Not Wrong   
5. Brown Eyes                     
6. Sara                                    
SIDE B
1. Angel                                   
2. Not That Funny                 
3. Honey Hi                            
4. Storms                                 
5. Never Forget                   
6. Tusk   
NOTE: Each songwriter gets four songs. 



The Rolling Stones – Exile on Main St.
SIDE A
1. Rocks Off                       
2. Rip This Joint                                
3. Tumbling Dice                              
4. Torn and Frayed         
5. Sweet Black Angel     
6. Loving Cup                    
SIDE B
1. Happy                                             
2. Ventilator Blues                          
3. All Down the Line       
4. Stop Breaking Down 
5. Shine the Light                            
6. Soul Survivor 
NOTE: A lot of people consider this album to be the Stones' best. I rank it second behind Sticky Fingers because I think Exile contains a lot of filler.    



Guns ‘N Roses – Use Your Illusion
1. Right Next Door to Hell
2. Dust N Bones
3. Don’t Cry
4. You Ain’t the First
5. Bad Obsession
6. November Rain
7. Garden of Eden
8. Don’t Damn Me
9. Civil War
10. 14 Years
11. Yesterdays
12. Pretty Tied Up
13. Locomotive
14. So Fine
15. You Could Be Mine   
NOTE: CD era so in this case we're combining two discs.



Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
SIDE A
1. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding
2. Candle in the Wind
3. Bennie and the Jets
SIDE B
1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
2. Grey Seal
3. All the Young Girls Love Alice
4. Saturday Night’s Alright (for Fighting)
5. Harmony 
NOTE: I've read posts by several people in the past who stated "It can't be done!" Well....      



Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland
SIDE A
1. …And the Gods Made Love
2. Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland
3. Crosstown Traffic
4. Long Hot Summer Night
5. Come On, Pt. 1
6. Gypsy Eyes
7. My Friend
SIDE B
1. Rainy Day, Dream Away
2. Still Raining, Still Dreaming
3. House Burning Down
4. All Along the Watchtower
5. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)     
NOTE: I recreated the cover that Jimi wanted.



Pink Floyd – The Wall
SIDE A
1. In the Flesh?
2. The Thin Ice
3. Another Brick in the Wall
4. Mother           
5. Goodbye Blue Sky
6. Young Lust
7. One of My Turns
SIDE B
1. Hey You
2. Comfortably Numb
3. The Show Must Go On
4. In the Flesh
5. Run Like Hell
6. The Trial
7. Outside the Wall
NOTE: To make these all fit, I used the shorter single versions of “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2,” “Comfortably Numb” and “Run Like Hell.”



The Who – Tommy
SIDE A
1. It's a Boy                                        
2. Amazing Journey                        
3. Christmas                                      
4. Cousin Kevin                                                
5. The Acid Queen                          
6. Do You Think It's Alright           
7. Fiddle About                                                
SIDE B
1. Pinball Wizard                                              
2. Go to the Mirror                         
3. Tommy Can You Hear Me       
4. Sensation                                      
5. I'm Free                                          
6. Tommy's Holiday Camp           
7. We're Not Gonna Take It 
NOTE: I thought this was surprisingly easy, and I don't think it really loses much for the storyline.




The Who – Quadrophenia
SIDE A
1. The Real Me
2. The Punk and the Godfather
3. I’m One (At Least)
4. Helpless Dancer (Roger's Theme)
5. I’ve Had Enough
SIDE B
1. 5:15
2. Bell Boy (Keith's Theme)
3. Doctor Jimmy (John's Theme)
4. Love Reign O’er Me (Pete's Theme)
NOTE: I took my cue from the movie soundtrack version to determine what to cut. Also, I used the shorter single versions of "5:15" and "Love Reign O'er Me"  so all these tracks could fit on a single album.

That's all. How'd I do?
     

8 comments:

  1. Welp, looks like it's my duty to upload a list of "Double albums made triple", with the exact same LPs... Hahahahah, but great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. To be honest I don't mind double albums if they are justified by the content. I still have a hard time getting through even the ones I like in one sitting but as long as the songs are there I can accept it but I did kind of enjoy breaking UYI apart.

    That said there are a few that could have been released as two separate albums and still work and there are those that it's obvious they had too many songs for a single disc and rather than edit and trim to fit they just wrote or threw together enough songs the expand it to a double. Results vary. In the case of concept albums...very hit and miss for me even the single disc ones.

    I've addressed a few on your list. There are a couple I won't touch (Yellow Brick Road). I have been thinking about Exile but one man's filler is another man's masterpiece. And then there are those that are double albums on vinyl but single disc CDs and work just fine that way (Blonde on Blonde). I ramble too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramble on! In the digital world I don't mind double albums like I used to. But I often think artists had maybe three sides of material and then added some filler to come to four full sides. Other times I think artists become so big there's no one willing to say no to them.

      Delete
  3. Interesting deconstruction to Tommy there. I used yours as a basis to make my attempt something of a middle ground between the single and double album versions. For the specific differences in my version:

    1. "1921" was brought back and combined with "It's a Boy" and the overall track was re-titled "Tommy".
    2. "Do You Think It's Alright" and "Fiddle About" were combined into a single track, the latter being the main title.
    3. "Pinball Wizard" ends side one.
    4. "Go to the Mirror" starts side two and is preceded by "There's a Doctor".
    5. "Smash the Mirror" was brought back and combined with "Tommy Can You Hear Me".
    6. "Welcome" was brought back.

    The overall result is 50:15 long. A bit lengthy for 1969, but not unheard of.

    I'm surprised you didn't include All Things Must Pass on it, though whether it's a double album or not is debatable. I think a single disc version would've been based on the question, "What if George was allowed more space on Beatles albums?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your combining of songs -- a bit above my abilities :)

      I seem to recall that I took a crack at All Things Must Pass at one point, and don't know why I didn't try and include it here. Maybe it being a triple album caused it to be off my radar

      Delete
    2. Thanks. :)

      Yeah, I think it's cause of the third disc, Apple Jam. If you skip over it, All Things Must Pass is technically a double album.

      Oh, and something I forgot to mention was making Physical Graffiti a single album as well, focusing solely on the 1974 recordings. Here's my attempt: (Your results may vary)

      Side A
      1. In the Light - 8:44
      2. Custard Pie - 4:13
      3. Trampled Under Foot - 5:35
      4. Kashmir - 8:37

      Side B
      5. Ten Years Gone - 6:31
      6. The Wanton Song - 4:06
      7. Sick Again - 4:43
      8. In My Time of Dying - 11:04

      Sides are more or less equal in length; I don't know why they didn't think of this in 1974! :P

      Delete
    3. I thought of doing Physical Graffiti, but the whole reason it became a double album is that the eight songs they recorded were too long for one album. So technically, you'd have to remove at least one of these and replaced it with one of the shorter outtakes. And personally, I like the whole double album as is. So I left it alone.

      Delete