Sunday, October 2, 2022

Arthur Lyman -- The Exotic Worlds of Arthur Lyman



The "big three" of tiki exotica music are Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and Arthur Lyman. A few years ago I got two double-CD compilations of works by Baxter and Denny titled The Exotic Moods of Les Baxter and The Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny that were released in 1996. Both featured cover art by Mark Ryden. I play them as background music for our home tiki bar.

However, there wasn't a similar release for Arthur Lyman, and I felt it was lacking from the collection, so I created one myself.

DISC 1
01 - Isle of Golden Dreams
02 - Ebb Tide
03 - Black Orchid
04 - Afro Blue
05 - Jungle Drums
06 - Akaka Falls
07 - Blue Hawaii
08 - Fire Down Below
09 - Aloha No Honolulu
10 - Jungle Fantasy
11 - Harbor Lights
12 - Bolero
13 - Hawaiian War Chant
14 - Bahia
15 - Jungle Jalopy
16 - Bwana A
17 - Beyond the Reef
18 - Caravan
19 - Hawaii Tattoo
20 - Ke Kali Nei Au

DISC 2
01 - Sweet Leilani
02 - Koni Au I Ka Wai
03 - My Tane
04 - The Limbo Rock
05 - Pele
06 - La Paloma
07 - Sweet Someone
08 - Theme from Adventures in Paradise
09 - Mapauna
10 - Quiet Village
11 - Taboo
12 - The Moon of Manakoora
13 - Midnight Sun
14 - Return to Paradise
15 - Whispering Reef Lullaby
16 - Taboo Tu
17 - Misirlou
18 - Ringo Oiwake
19 - The (Jungle) Cat
20 - Yellow Bird

In deciding what tracks to include by Lyman, I searched through various "best of" collections but focused mainly on songs featuring titles about the South Pacific or exotic locations. Both the Baxter and Denny compilations include 40 tracks each, with 20 tunes per disc. So, in keeping with the format, I chose 40 songs of Lyman's music.

The collection begins with "Isle of Golden Dreams," originally released in 1958 on Lyman's Hawaiian Sunset LP. It's a rather slow, "dreamy" piece that I thought would allow the listener to drift into the mood. All the instrumentals presented here can transport you to a mythical tropic island with their use of vibraphones, marimbas, ukuleles and exotic bird calls. I ended the collection with probably Lyman's best-known tune, "Yellow Bird." I recommend you shake up a mai tai and relax.

For the cover artwork, I wanted to use another painting by Mark Ryden like the ones used for the Baxter and Denny compilations, but I couldn't find anything suitable. So, instead, I chose an image of a velvet painting by Robb Hamel, cropped it, and added titles. The title I chose, to go along with the other two compilations, was The Exotic Worlds of Arthur Lyman.


8 comments:

  1. Would you have any recommended sources, or just Google and good luck? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through Lyman's discography and made a list of the songs I thought would work best for this compilation, and then I just went one by one downloading them. Amazon was the easiest source.

      Delete
    2. That's my response, btw, not anonymous lol

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. My comment was directed at AEC, but I *am* attempting to assemble it as shown, ergo why I asked if he had any preferred/recommended sources to use.

      Had a similar issue doing same for his "You're The Man" album by Marvin Gaye, but eventually I did manage to get it assembled, and he was helpful in doing so.

      Delete
  3. I want to share my version of an album cover, but I do not know where to send it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Post it here: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/fan-made-alternative-album-covers-by-your-favorite-artists.578347/

      Delete