Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Beatles -- "Plastic Blues"



I’ve toyed around for years with the well-worn concept of what a late 1970/early 1971 Beatles album would have been like had the band stayed together. It took a while before I came up with a track list I liked.

SIDE A
1. What Is Life 
2. Well Well Well 
3. Oo You 
4. Remember 
5. Junk
6. Working Class Hero 
7. It Don't Come Easy 

SIDE B
1. I Found Out 
2. Every Night 
3. All Things Must Pass 
4. Teddy Boy 
5. Look at Me 
6. Let It Down 
7. Maybe I'm Amazed 

Other than a couple of exceptions, I decided to focus on songs that the Beatles had practiced during the Get Back/Let It Be sessions but had not made it onto a Beatles release. Also, given that the Beatles usually did not include songs they recorded for singles on their albums, I didn’t consider solo non-album singles either (except for one song from Ringo).

I led off the album with George’s “What is Life.” Of the tracks I’d selected, this one just seemed to me to be the best one to start the record with its catchy guitar riff. Plus, with the success of George’s songs on Abbey Road, I think he would take a more prominent role. Thus, we have four of his songs rather than the usual two.

I know of three versions of “All Things Must Pass”: the original released version, George’s demo from The Beatles' Anthology 3, and a workout by the Beatles that’s available via bootleg. I went with this version, and it’s therefore the only actual Beatles track on this album.

Note that each of the four Beatles has a song either opening or closing a side. Democratic, no? The democracy is throughout with three John songs to Paul’s two on the first side, and the opposite on the second. Add in the obligatory Ringo song, and you’ve got yourself a new Beatles album.

For an album title, I thought that several of the tunes had a bluesy feel, not to mention the line in “It Don’t Come Easy”: “Got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues.” Taking a cue from the Beatles’ Rubber Soul album, I came up with Plastic Blues.

For a cover, I went dumpster diving into the web and found a photo of blue balloons with hearts attached to them. I thought that worked well.

John’s songs are from John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Paul’s are from McCartney. George’s are from All Things Must Pass (except, somewhat ironically, "All Things Must Pass"). Ringo’s song did not make it onto an album until the compilation Blast from Your Past. I don't usually create a back cover, but made an exception here. And here's a YouTube playlist of the album.


14 comments:

  1. I also did the whole "focus on songs that the Beatles had practiced during the Get Back/Let It Be sessions but had not made it onto a Beatles release" thang, but was a little more strict. Ended up with:

    Side One:
    01 Gimme Some Truth (w/ 'bells' intro from Mother)
    02 All Things Must Pass
    03 Every Night
    04 Oh My Love
    05 Teddy Boy
    06 Mind Games
    07 Isn't it a Pity?
    Side Two:
    08 Another Day
    09 Jealous Guy
    10 Junk
    11 Let it Down
    12 Look at Me
    13 The Back Seat of My Car (w/ 'Glasses' as a hidden track)

    plus, of course

    - Maybe I'm Amazed b/w Art of Dying
    - Hot As Sun (b-side to Jealous Guy)

    Fab work, tho! Sounds like a fantastic album, to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Mind Games go back that far? Did it have roots in another song? I'm aware of the lineage of Jealous Guy. Gimmie Some Truth goes back as there is a demo from 69 or 69.

      Delete
    2. Forgot about Make Love Not War that turned into Mind Games but I'm away from my library to check how far back it goes.

      Delete
    3. Make Love, Not War dates bback at least to the Get Back sessions in January 1969, when it made it's first recorded appearance.

      Delete
    4. There you go.Thanks for the info.

      Delete
    5. Interesting -- nice tracklist, and I didn't know that about Mind Games.

      Delete
  2. Nice. Good selection and nothing "from the future" and no early John singles. The way it should be. Already released singles were never added to later albums outside if "best of" collections (the first album is an exception which included their first two singles).

    My one concern is Working Class Hero, Would the band (and I assume George M. or Phil S. or whoever is producing) make John change the "and you're still f*ing peasants" line? And if he refused would they drop the song? (The same can be argued about the overt religiosity of My Sweet Lord but both of you left it off anyway.) Personally I would swap It Don't Come Easy with the B side, Early 1970. It's about the band and the only musicians on it are George and Ringo (almost an answer song to The Ballad of John and Yoko). But that's me.

    Here's mine. I had other restrictions but it's not far from yours. http://beatles-whatif.blogspot.com/2010/04/1971-through-many-years.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and good point. Who knows, maybe the lyrics to WCH would have been different as a Beatles song. I thought about Early 1970, but my feeling is that it never would have been written had the Beatles not broken up.

      Delete
  3. If there's no single off of Plastic Blues, what could they release as a non-album single? My mind goes to "Instant Karma" and "Another Day" probably being released as a non-album single. The former features George on guitar plus Beatles alumni Billy Preston, and the latter was another Let It Be reject.

    "What Is Life" and "It Don't Come Easy" could still be a great single though, giving both George and Ringo a chance to shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think "Another Day" / "Instant Karma" would be a great single.

      Delete