Sunday, October 7, 2018

"Viva Las Vegas" soundtrack




The film "Viva Las Vegas" starring Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret was released in 1964. With two singers as the stars, the movie is filled with songs. However, for whatever reason a soundtrack album was not released. Instead, there was an EP issued that included four songs Elvis sang.

When a soundtrack was finally released in 1993, it excluded two songs Ann-Margret sang solo in the film, as well as a song by The Forte Four (which was apparently a pseudonym for Georgie McFadden, backed up by Elvis and The Jordanaires). The '93 release did include, however, some songs that were recorded for the film but didn't make the final cut. Ten years later, the Elvis specialty record label FTD released an extended version of the soundtrack, but that too excluded Ann-Margret's songs.

This re-imagined soundtrack includes everything, Elvis songs, Ann-Margret songs, the Forte Four track, and the songs that didn't make the final cut. I placed the tracks in order as they appear in the movie (with the last four tunes being the ones that weren't included in the film).

SIDE A
1. Viva Las Vegas -- Elvis Presley
2. The Yellow Rose of Texas/The Eyes of Texas -- Elvis Presley
3. The Lady Loves Me -- Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret
4. Come On, Everybody -- Elvis Presley
5. Today, Tomorrow and Forever -- Elvis Presley
6. The Climb -- The Forte Four
7. What'd I Say -- Elvis Presley
8. Santa Lucia -- Elvis Presley

SIDE B
1. If You Think I Don't Need You -- Elvis Presley
2. Appreciation -- Ann-Margret
3. I Need Someone to Lean On -- Elvis Presley
4. My Rival -- Ann-Margret
5. You're the Boss -- Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret
6. Do the Vega -- Elvis Presley
7. Night Life -- Elvis Presley
8. Today, Tomorrow and Forever (duet version) -- Elvis Presley and Ann-Margret

The Elvis songs (including the duets with Ann-Margret) are easy enough to find. The two Ann-Margret songs can be found on the Ann-Margret: 1961-1966 Complete box set. As far as the Forte Four song -- good luck. The only album I know of that has it is the FTD version of the soundtrack, and that isn't the version used in the film apparently. I ended up ripping it from a video clip on YouTube.

For the new cover, I edited a cover for the movie's DVD.


4 comments:

  1. Hello, found your great site, wonder how I can listen to the music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I haven't uploaded the music files. Too many lawsuit-happy record companies out there. Instead I list the sources for people to find them tracks themselves.

      Delete
  2. I wish, I wish, I wish I could have this album! It's the way it should have been released in the first place.

    ReplyDelete