Sunday, April 7, 2019

Elvis Presley -- "Taking Care of Business: The Essential '70s Masters"



The box set The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete '50s Masters, which packaged all of Elvis Presley's Sun and RCA recordings from 1954-1958, was a big success.

As a result, RCA assembled a second Elvis Presley box set the following year titled From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential '60s Masters. This second box set included all the studio songs he recorded in that decade, except for movie soundtracks and gospel album tracks (these were collected on Command Performances: The Essential '60s Masters II and Amazing Grace: His Greatest Sacred Performances respectively).

With the third decade-spanning box set of the series, RCA issued Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters. But instead of following the outline of The Essential '60s Masters, the '70s box set has two discs made up of the A and B sides of singles, discs 3 and 4 made up of selected studio cuts, and the final disc 5 of live tracks.

I don't know why this change was made, but it's possible that RCA realized that with three box sets, most people could own nearly everything they would ever want of Elvis' music. In other words, they were killing their cash cow.

Whatever the reason, to me this was a letdown. I strongly believe that the '70s box set should have included all studio tracks from 1970-78, minus songs from his gospel and Christmas albums. This would have made it more akin to The Essential '60s Masters.

So here's how I think it should have been issued.

DISC 1
  1. Twenty Days and Twenty Nights
  2. I've Lost You
  3. I was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago
  4. The Sound of Your Cry
  5. The Fool
  6. Little Cabin on the Hill
  7. Cindy, Cindy
  8. Bridge over Troubled Water
  9. Got My Mojo Working / Keep Your Hands Off of It
  10. How the Web was Woven
  11. It's Your Baby, You Rock It
  12. Stranger in the Crowd
  13. I'll Never Know
  14. Mary in the Morning
  15. It Ain't No Big Thing, But It's Growing
  16. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me
  17. Just Pretend
  18. This is Our Dance
  19. Life
  20. Heart of Rome
  21. When I'm Over You
  22. I Really Don't Want to Know
  23. Faded Love
  24. Tomorrow Never Comes
  25. The Next Step is Love
  26. Make the World Go Away
DISC 2
  1. Funny How Time Slips Away
  2. I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water
  3. Love Letters
  4. There Goes My Everything 
  5. If I Were You
  6. Only Believe
  7. Sylvia
  8. Patch It Up
  9. Snowbird
  10. Where Did They Go, Lord
  11. Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On
  12. Rags to Riches
  13. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
  14. Early Morning Rain
  15. (That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me
  16. Miracle of the Rosary
  17. Padre
  18. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
  19. Help Me Make It Through the Night
  20. Fools Rush In
  21. It's Still Here
  22. I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen
  23. I will Be True
  24. I'm Leavin'
  25. We Can Make the Morning if We Try
  26. It's Only Love
DISC 3
  1. Love Me, Love the Life I Lead
  2. Until It's Time for You to Go
  3. Put Your Hand in the Hand
  4. My Way
  5. Separate Ways
  6. For the Good Times
  7. Where Do I Go from Here
  8. Burning Love
  9. Fool
  10. Always on My Mind
  11. It's a Matter of Time
  12. If You Don't Come Back
  13. It's Diff'rent Now
  14. Three Corn Patches
  15. Take Good Care of Her
  16. Find Out What's Happening
  17. I've Got a Thing About You Baby
  18. Just a Little Bit
  19. Raised on Rock
  20. For Ol' Times Sake
  21. Girl of Mine
  22. Sweet Angeline
  23. I Miss You
  24. Are You Sincere?
  25. I Got a Feeling in My Body
  26. It's Midnight
DISC 4
  1. You Asked Me To
  2. If You Talk in Your Sleep
  3. Mr. Songman
  4. Thinking About You
  5. Love Song of the Year
  6. Help Me
  7. My Boy
  8. Loving Arms
  9. Good Time Charle's Got the Blues
  10. Talk About the Good Times
  11. Promised Land
  12. Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming
  13. There's a Honky Tonk Angel
  14. If That Isn't Love
  15. Spanish Eyes
  16. She Wears My Ring
  17. Fairytale
  18. Green, Green Grass of Home
  19. I Can Help
  20. And I Love You So
  21. Susan When She Tried
  22. T-R-O-U-B-L-E
  23. Woman Without Love
  24. Shake a Hand
  25. Bringin' It Back
  26. Pieces of My Life
DISC 5
  1. Bitter They Come, Harder They Are
  2. She Thinks I Still Care
  3. The Last Farewell
  4. Solitaire
  5. Moody Blue
  6. I'll Never Fall in Love Again
  7. For the Heart
  8. Hurt
  9. Danny Boy
  10. Never Again
  11. Love Coming Down
  12. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain
  13. It's Easy for You
  14. Way Down
  15. Pledging My Love
  16. He'll Have to Go
  17. A Hundred Years Ago from Now #
  18. I Didn't Make It on Playing Guitar  #
  19. The Lord's Prayer  #
  20. Lady Madonna  #
  21. I Shall be Released  #
  22. Softly as I Leave You  #
  23. The Twelfth of Never  #
  24. Tiger Man  #
  25. Alla en el Rancho Grande #
  26. Stranger in My Own Home Town #
Here we have five discs with 26 tracks each. Everything is in chronological order except the 10 bonus tracks at the end. These are mostly partial songs recorded during rehearsals.

To compile the tracklist in the proper order, I used Ernst Jorgensen's excellent book "Elvis Presley: A Life in Music -- The Complete Recording Sessions" as a guide. I didn't realize until working on this that the last song Elvis recorded was "He'll Have to Go" -- which is kind of an eerie title considering he would die soon afterward.

Since Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters gets its title from a live track that isn't included in my version, I had to come up with a new title. "Taking Care of Business" was Elvis' personal motto, and he used the TCB logo for jewelry and other things, and named his backup band the TCB Band. So Taking Care of Business: The Essential '70s Masters seemed like a good title for this collection

I used the cover from Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters for this box set cover and rather clumsily changed the title.


No comments:

Post a Comment