Sunday, April 14, 2019

Yes' "Yes Solos"




I don't want to get into the habit of redoing projects I've already completed, but I decided this was one that could be reconsidered. Way back in June 2018 I posted a concept for an album using tracks from the solo albums of members of Yes that were released in 1976. I called it Harmonium: https://albumsbackfromthedead.blogspot.com/2018/06/yes-harmonium.html

So little did I know at the time I put that album together that there actually was an album titled Yes Solos Sampler that was issued in 1976 (https://www.discogs.com/Various-Yes-Solos-LP-Sampler/release/7702268). I think it was just a promotional album for radio stations, and not available to the general public. But it’s interesting that the tracklist is very different from what I came up with. And since this was not available to the general public, I consider it a lost album:

SIDE 1
1. Flight of The Moorglade - Jon Anderson
2. Hold Out Your Hand - Chris Squire
3. Break Away from It All - Steve Howe
4. Best Years of Our Lives - Patrick Moraz
5. Spring: Song of Innocence - Alan White

SIDE 2
1. Oooh Baby (Goin' To Pieces) - Alan White
2. Dancing Now - Patrick Moraz
3. Lost Symphony - Steve Howe
4. Lucky Seven - Chris Squire
5. Meeting (Garden of Geda): Sound Out The Galleon - Jon Anderson

Yes Solos Sampler is a little more democratic than my Harmonium in that it includes two songs from each member's solo albumsFirst of all, I found it interesting that Yes Solos Sampler only included two of the songs I had included in Harmonium. I had based my Harmonium tracklist on the solo songs that Yes performed in concert. I've no idea what criteria went into deciding which songs were included on this sampler.

I find it a strange coincidence that "Spring: Song of Innocence" was included in the exact same place as I had included it -- the last track on side 1. 

To show I put a little more effort into this than simply copying the info, I created a new cover for the album. The sampler cover was just white and included "Yes Solos" in the Roger Dean-designed logo. I took the logo, colored it, and also used other Roger Dean artwork to create the cover. I also added the surnames of each member at the bottom using a Roger Dean-style font.

No comments:

Post a Comment