Sunday, July 7, 2019

The Who -- "My Generation"


This is the first in a series of three Who albums.

Over at soniclovenoize's "Albums That Never Were" blog site, he created what could have been The Who's debut album, Introducing The Who (http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-who-introducing-who.html).

For this blog entry, I tackled a revised version of the album My Generation, assuming that soniclovenoize's Introducing The Who had been released.


SIDE A
1. Substitute
2. Bald Headed Woman
3. The Good's Gone (full version)
4. La La La Lies
5. Much Too Much
6. My Generation

SIDE B
1. The Kids are Alright
2. Instant Party Mixture
3. It's Not True
4. The Ox
5. Legal Matter
6. Circles (Instant Party)

Two versions of My Generation were officially released, one in Britain and another in the U.S. (the American version is titled The Who Sings My Generation). Four of the songs from those versions were used on soniclovenoize's Introducing The Who, which required me to find replacements. 

Of those replacements, I kick off this version of My Generation with "Substitute," a classic Who song that the band has performed in nearly all of their concerts since it debuted. This is followed by "Bald Headed Woman," a blues song that was featured as the B-side of the "I Can't Explain" single. Then, I used the full-length version of "The Good's Gone." The rest of Side A is the same as the released versions of the album.

Side B begins the same as the released version with "The Kids are Alright." But then the second track is "Instant Party Mixture," which is a bit of filler originally intended as a B-side of a single. The rest of Side B is the same as the U.S. version of the album.

"Substitute" was originally a non-album single and I don't think it appeared on an album until Direct Hits was released in 1968. It can now be found on numerous compilations. "Bald Headed Woman," "The Good's Gone" and "Instant Party Mixture" can all be found on the 2014 deluxe version of My Generation.

I used the same cover as the British version of the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment