Sunday, July 29, 2018

"After Hours" soundtrack



Here's the third and final of my Martin Scorsese film soundtracks that were never released.

“After Hours” is one of my favorite Scorsese movies. The dark comedy is about as wacky as the director has ever done. If you haven’t seen the film, a man (Griffin Dunne) goes across town to meet a girl (Rosanna Arquette), loses his money, and has to deal with one crazy character after another in his attempt to get back home.

Howard Shore’s eerie electronic music adds to the bizarre atmosphere, while the collection of oldies is somewhat typical of Scorsese soundtracks. I still laugh every time I see the scene where Teri Garr’s character asks, “Hey, you like the Monkees!?”   

SIDE A
1. Symphony in D Major "No. 45" K. 95 I. Allegro (Mozart) – The Academy of Ancient Music and Jaap Schroder
2. 9 PM – Howard Shore
3. En La Cueva – Cuadro Flamenco
4. Sevillanas – Manitas de Plata
5. You're Mine – Robert and Johnnie
6. We Belong Together – Robert and Johnnie
7. Angel Baby – Rosie and The Originals
8. Midnight – Howard Shore
9. Last Train to Clarksville – The Monkees

SIDE B
1. Chelsea Morning – Joni Mitchell
2. I Don't Know Where I Stand – Joni Mitchell
3. Over the Mountain, Across the Sea – Johnnie and Joe
4. One Summer Night – The Danleers
5. 3 AM – Howard Shore
6. Pay to Cum – Bad Brains
7. Is That All There Is? – Peggy Lee
8. 6 AM – Howard Shore
9. Air Ouveture No. 3 in D Major (Bach) – Collegium Aureum

As with the previous two Scorsese soundtracks I have covered, you really have to do some searching to track down all of these songs. The Howard Shore music can be found here:

I had a terrible time tracking down the two classical works and ended up using different versions for my album for now.

The rest of the songs can be easily found on iTunes or Amazon. For the cover, I used a DVD cover I found online and cropped and altered it.

UPDATE: As noted in the comments below, I missed a song when I originally posted this: "You're Mine" by Robert and Johnnie. I've now added it above. But in checking on this, I discovered that I'm actually missing four other tunes: "Night and Day," "Body and Soul," "Quando, Quando, Quando" and "Someone to Watch Over Me." The film credits don't list who performs these, only that they're "courtesy of Warner Bros. Music." My guess is that they're all instrumentals from Warner Bros.'s vast music library that can be used as incidental music in films. So, you have choices here: 1) Ignore them; 2) Include versions of the songs (since they're all standards you'll find lots of them available); or 3) Track down the Warner Bros. library versions (and good luck with that). They should appear in the order listed above between "Sevillanas" and "You're Mine."



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The film? I suppose so. There's never been an official soundtrack.

      Delete
  2. Is there a way a could email you about this soundtrack ? great reconstruction. It took me a lot of times to figure out that there was 2 songs in the bar scene after "Angel Baby" (which was also covered by John Lennon) : "You're Mine" and "We're Belong Together" - 2 different songs ? or part of one single song (when Griffin's character is going to the toilets), there is the second song (is it a part of the same song?)- I think that both features a very young Joni Mitchel.
    Then the classic overture with M.Balhaus trademark 360° travelling - did you find exactly the same classical music version that was used by Martin Scorsese for the soundtrack ? perhaps with the upcoming Criterion UHD+Blu-Ray we will be able to isolate some parts of Howard Shore's themes which are not available on CD using A.I tools the remove the dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "You're Mine" is missing. I can't tell because I can listen to your tracks; but : when Griffin's character is enter in the bar there is Angel Baby, then "You're Mine" (by the same J.Mitchel) duet; and then Griffin's character go to the toilet of the bar and try to pee when I see Martin Scorsese's cartoon on the wall (he did this cartoon) with the shark eating...well... castration is the funny obsession of this movie; then he goes back in the bar and "We're Belong Together" is playing. Martin S. was very smart to select 3 songs with the same kind of arrangement (Angel Baby and these 2 songs which seems to be a part of the same song)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. And you're correct about "You're Mine." I'm also apparently missing a few other tunes. I'll relook at this in the near future and post an update.

      Delete