Sunday, July 15, 2018

"Mean Streets" soundtrack


Here's my second of three Martin Scorsese film soundtracks that haven't been released. The film Mean Streets came out in 1973 and gave notice to the film world that a young filmmaker was on the rise.

SIDE A
  1. Be My Baby -- The Ronettes
  2. Tell Me (You're Coming Back) -- The Rolling Stones
  3. I Looked Away -- Derek and The Dominos
  4. Jumpin' Jack Flash -- The Rolling Stones
  5. Desiree -- The Charts
  6. I Met Him on a Sunday -- The Shirelles
  7. Florence -- The Paragons
SIDE B
  1. Those Oldies But Goodies -- Little Caesar and The Romans
  2. Please Mr. Postman -- The Marvelettes
  3. You -- The Aquatones
  4. Shoop Shoop Song (It's in His Kiss) -- Betty Everett
  5. I Love You So -- The Chantels
  6. The Ship of Love -- The Nutmegs
  7. Rubber Biscuit -- The Chips
SIDE C
  1. Pledging My Love -- Johnny Ace
  2. Baby Oh Baby -- The Shells
  3. Mickey's Monkey -- The Miracles
  4. Steppin' Out -- Cream
SIDE D
  1. Addio Sogni di Gloria -- Giuseppe di Stefano
  2. Canta Per' Me -- Giuseppe di Stefano
  3. Munasterio di Santa Chiara -- Giuseppe di Stefano
  4. Marruzella -- Renato Carosone
  5. Scapricciatiello -- Renato Carosone
  6. Ritmo Sabroso - Ray Barretto
  7. Malafemmina -- Jimmy Roselli
A lot more songs were included in Mean Streets than Scorsese's debut, Who's That Knocking at My Door? But like that previous film, Mean Streets includes a lot of doo wop songs. This soundtrack also includes two Rolling Stones songs, as do many of Scorsese's films. Side C has the fewest songs because the Cream song is over 13 minutes long.

There are seven songs in Italian. While they work throughout the film for various scenes, I didn't think they worked on the soundtrack mixed among rock and pop tunes. So I included all the Italian songs on the fourth side of the album.

You have to do a fair amount of searching for some of these songs, but they're out there. For a cover, I found this image on the web and cropped it. I think it was originally for a DVD cover.


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I haven't uploaded the music files. Too many lawsuit-happy record companies and artist estates out there. Instead I list the sources for people to find the tracks themselves.

      Delete
  2. I just watched "Mean Streets" for the first time, yesterday. There is a very short, great fuzz tone guitar solo towards the end of the movie. Do know who that is? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete